Monday, January 18, 2016

Miss Emily by Nuala O'Connor ****

I'm a long- standing fan of Emily Dickinson, and this biographical novel revealed some more information about her. The chapters alternate with the story told first by Miss Ada, the young maid who has just come from Ireland, and Miss Emily herself. The plot was a little thin, but the novel was basically character- driven, so I accepted that and enjoyed the read. And I learned more about Emily, one of the most fascinating poets, as much for her life-style as anything.

Why did Emily wear only white? 
" ..white has long been of importance to me...It strikes me that if I am pure in dress,my mind may empty itself of all concerns, and that will make it easier for me to write...This decision - to wear white-sings poetry to me: it will speak of obedience to words, my dedication...From now on, I shall be candle-white.Dove-, bread-, swan-, shroud-,ice-,extra-ordinary white. I shall be blanched, bleached, and bloodless to look at; my very whiteness will be my mark. But inside of course, I will roar and soar and flash with color."

Emily on words, and dashes, which are so characteristic of her poetry:

" When my heart or my head hurts, when my body betrays me in sickness, I have words to play with. But, more than play,, they own me. I am their servant, and I serve willingly, with as much grace as I can muster. I have so little power over them, in truth. Words- all words- chill and scorch me.
"each dash I create is a weight, a pause, a question. I select them with care. The exclamation point is juvenile, while the dash is much more promising- a mature Mark. Each dash interrupts, emphasizes, connects and pushes apart the words around it. The dash is a waiting beat- dah-dah-dah.
" my lexicon bulges, but my picks from it are slender: I favorited the blunt and the simple. I prefer one syllable to two....with words I question, I complain, I code. " page 39

No comments: