Saturday, January 9, 2016

Broken Harbour by Tana French ****

Another mystery! I read Faithful Place by Tana French last year in Florida, and enjoyed it. Picked  this one up at I the GoodwillStore for 6$. The Book Club's theme for March is Irish Women Writers, and since French is Irish, that was another reason to read it.
Well- written, logically and clearly presented, I can say she's a good writer, but whether she's quintessentially Irish in her writing, I can't say. 
The setting is one of those suburban housing developments that went wrong, so most of the homes are empty. Detective Scorcher Kennedy and his partner, Richie, are assigned to a case where a family of four in this subdivision  has been violently attacked; only the mother, Jenny Spain has survived.
It doesn't take long to supposedly find the murderer, but there's something very odd about the situation- the author has evidently thought this through in detail. The twists and turns are quite interesting, especially the long - some 10 pages at least- confession of the murderer.
I think I can rank French near the top of my preferred mystery writers. So there's Elizabeth George, Louise Penny, Peter Robinson, and I'm about to start Robert  Galbraith's The Silkworm.

No comments: