Monday, January 25, 2016

BOOKS NOT COMPLETED!



1. As Chimney Sweepers Come To Dust by Alan Bradley. To page 139. More a caricature of English boarding schools than a mystery, the school is in Canada, Flavia doesn't even know why she's there, the body appears early, but the story was too character-driven than plot- driven.

2. The Secret Life of William Shakespeare by Jude Morgan- I tried twice to read this, because I thought I should try, since this year is the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death. The second time I got 60% of it read, but amid such boredom, I just couldn't continue. 

3. Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo- I read this some years ago and re-read it because Russo has written a sequel. I enjoyed the over 200 pages I read, but I had read enough.

4. Birdie by Tracey Lindberg- I may come back to this- it's pretty raw.

5. The Crooked House- I enjoyed the first part, when a family, with the exception of Esme, a teenaged girl who was not supposed to be at home when her family was murdered. Not enough happening to hold my interest, and the suspects around her are so obviously rotten and I couldn't understand why she couldn't see that. But then, the story would have had to end! 

6. The Unqiet Dead by Ausma Zehanat Khan- I read about this Canadian author in Maclean's and finally found this book in Peterborough. I did read over 200 pages of it, but there didn't seems to be any progress being made, the women were all a bit flimsy and stereotypical, there was an attempt to create some chemistry between the two detectives, and I thought the atrocities in Bosnia were gratuitously described. When I saw there were about 150 pages of boring stuff left before I could say I'd finished it, I gave up.
7. The Disastrous Mrs. Weldon by Brian Thompson
8. Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien


 


No comments: