Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Children Act by Ian McEwan ****

This short book- only 213 pages- has many different layers: a disintegrating marriage, a judge who has some difficult moral issues to deal with in her court, the fine line between professional life and daily sorrows, a musician( also the judge) preparing for a concert and the epiphany she has during that concert. 

But as I finished this, I couldn't get it out of my mind, so I went back and re-read the last two chapters. Lots of questions in my mind! Is the title a legal label or is it a sentence ( article, noun, verb)? Why did the author spend so much time re-telling the case of the lawyer who shares the concert with Fiona?
Was Adam Henry in love with Fiona or was he obsessed by her decision? What is the role of music in this story?

Might be a good choice for Book Club. Probably not the best or most engrossing novel, but certainly ideal for discussion purposes. We haven't had a book like this before. 

No comments: