Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss ****

It's taken me four months to read this book.The first section on sugar convinced me to cut down substantially on added sugar. After a month or so, I read "fat" and learned such words as "mouthfeel" and learned that labs exist in the food manufacturers to measure what happens to the brain when we eat fat in processed foods. Two months pass, and it's nearly time for Book Club, so I start on "salt" where I learn how awful some foods taste( like potato chips) without salt. 

I love all three, like everyone else, but after reading this book, subtitled "How The Food Giants Hooked Us", I have already cut down substantially on all three items, so much so that when I eat sugar, my mouth literally rushes towards the substance. And it is true that all three make us crave more.

Bliss point, mouthfeel, emulsion labs, brain imaging, marketing strategies, lawsuits, advertising- it's all here, and all these companies have only one aim- to get us to eat more of those items,

The author states in the epilogue what I've long adhered to - it's all up to us. We may not be able to resist these three things, but we can make a decision as to how much of them we'll succumb to.

It's a life- changer is what it is!


No comments: