Thursday, January 10, 2013

Elton John: The Bitch Is Back ✔✔

I only gave this book two stars because the writing is atrocious.  This biographer - Mark Bego - gives every fact possible about Elton John , including most of the names of people who attended his parties, or who he worked with, a listing of all his concerts in any given year - and so on.  Did I find out a lot about Elton John?  Well, I guess I did, but not too much more than I knew already.

I wanted to give it more stars because, despite his many failings, I still think Elton John is an amazing musician, a wonderful pianist and an inventive composer.  But his life was a mess - sex, drugs, ridiculous costumes, over-eating, being a real "bitch", as the title implies.

Fortunately, the role young Ryan White played in his life turned him around from a life of pure debauchery, and he remains a top-notch performer even in his late fifties.

I don't think this was an authorized bio because the author makes no attempt to get right into the story of Elton's life  - it's just a series of press clippings really.

Not only that, the editing was terrible!  It took me a long, long time to read this book - over about four months, I'd say, and the only thing that kept me reading it was that I have such respect for him as a musician- and I'll never, ever, forget how beautifully he sang and played at Princess Diana's funeral.

No comments: