Thursday, January 10, 2013

Dear Life by Alice Munro ✔✔✔✔

Dear Life - dear me!!  This is, once again, a book I read over several months, usually one story at a time in between other novels I was reading.  So when I came to it yesterday during a long wait at the hairdresser's, I finally got it finished - but now, I don't remember very much about the stories!!

I just flipped through them all and really - only the ones I read yesterday and tonight have stayed in my mind!  I remember only tiny bits about them - but, not to worry - I do remember that I thoroughly enjoyed each and every story and marvelled at Munro's mastery of the short story - she says so much in just a few words, conveys so much information in a paragraph, and paints such a vivd picture of humanity - especially relationships.

Her first sentences suck you in right away - " On the bench outside the station I sat and waited" - so this person has been travelling, and is waiting for someone to meet her or him.  The fact that he/she is waiting indicates that this is a new situation, a new place, with new people.  I wonder how long she's been there?




No comments: