Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick ✔✔✔

This title won Book Browse's award for the best children's book of 2011, and the comment was made that it was good for both adults and children, so I reserved it at our library here. When I went to pick it up and saw the size of the book -637 pages, I said "Oh no, how am I going to get this finished?"

Then I saw that there were pages and pages of illustrations, and for a few seconds I thought the whole book was drawings, but then I found some text, so I decided to give it a try.

It's a story of two people fifty years apart. Ben's story is told in text, Rose's in drawings, and you are gradually drawn into their stories, especially when you realize that even though they are told in two different times, Rose's in 1927, Ben's in 1977, that they are similar.

Both are deaf, and both are on their own, trying to find their way in the world. How their stories intertwine is really quite amazing, and the art work ( all in black and white pencil drawings) is quite impressive.

Certainly a different format for me, but enjoyable. I just marvel at the imagination of some of the writers today!

No comments: