Monday, January 2, 2012

The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn ✔✔✔✔

One of the most informative book I've ever read about cooking, this title was first mentioned in a Chatelaine magazine. I put it on my Christmas list.

The Author, a graduate in culinary arts from France, put together nine volunteers who lacked confidence in their cooking skills, and offered them a teaching session over one summer. There were lessons in how to use a knife, how to braise a chicken, make an omelet, make a pasta dish, use items already in the kitchen cupboards, and so on.

I underlined like crazy in this book, and learned lots, like how to measure flour properly, to shake a pan after a fish or chicken has been put into it to saute it, how to chop an onion - the list goes on and on.

Just tonight I made an omelet - I wasn't planning this for supper, but this book has persuaded me to clean out the things I have. I just followed her suggestions and it was very tasty. Somehow I always thought an omelet was hard to cook- it's not, you just need to have courage! Bravo, Kathleen Flinn!

Tomorrow I'm going to tackle onions!

No comments: