Friday, November 26, 2010

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson ✔✔

It was two years ago when I discovered Kate Atkinson, a Scottish writer. Her book, When Will There Be Good News, was reviewed by Book Browse, then I found it at the PCB library and enjoyed it so much I read three others quite quickly. Her main character is Jackson Brodie, a sort of anti-hero actually, because he's an ex-detective, has been married two times, his second wife took off with all his money, the first one is a constant pain in his backside, he doesn't really solve cases, he just kind of circles around them, occasionally getting beat up... and so on.

This particular book I did struggle with, maybe because we were travelling to Florida while I was trying to read it, but I read thirty pages - or more accurately my eyes skimmed through thirty pages waiting to be "grabbed" by the book, then I decided to re-read those 30 pages more carefully so I'd at least know what was going on.

I did sort of finish it, and maybe sometime I'll go back and try to re-read it, but it was odd - I sort of liked it, but then I sort of didn't, too.

No comments: