Saturday, October 16, 2010

This Body of Death by Elizabeth George.✔✔✔✔✔

This is the 16th of George's novels about Inspector Lynley, and I've read each and every one. I'm positive that each time I read her latest, I think they can't get any better, but they do. I'm filled with admiration for her as a writer of British mysteries, first for her detailed knowledge of the country, a fact which is notable because she herself is American ( you'd never, ever, know it from her writing), the intricacy of her plots, which while you're reading you marvel at their complexity, but when everything is finally revealed, were very simple, her use of surprise, which can make you gasp a little as much for the fact that you wonder how dull you must have been not to see it coming, and the roundedness - is there such a word?- of her characters.

Bloody marvellous, as Barbara Havers would say!!

No comments: