Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Secret Daughter -Gowda. ✔✔✔

Hmmm...what can I say? Sandra gave me this to read, and I started it with interest and enthusiasm, first because it's appearing consistently on best-seller lists, and it's a "Heather's Pick'' from Chapters as well.

The story is interesting for sure, but - well, I guess I'm still getting over the mastery of language, plot and character in "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet" - after the first 100 pages which slipped by quite quickly, I just skimmed through to find out where the story was going to lead. There just wasn't good enough character development; the plot, though illuminating as a study of modern family in Mumbai, was pretty weak, and I couldn't help thinking of Mistry's "A Fine Balance" and how I was able to enter the story more fully and really feel the emotions of the characters. This one read like a newspaper feature in comparison - just not enough substance for me to let my eyes suffer the consequences of devouring a well-written novel. I owe them more than that!

No comments: