Monday, September 20, 2010

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay.✔✔

Okay, so what were some good features of this book?

1. I had never heard of the Vel d'Hiv incident, so this was new to me, and I thought this part of the story was well-told.
2. I finished it. I sure didn't read every page, though.

3. I like the fact that I won't be here when my Book Club discusses it because I'll find it hard to be negative in a nice way.

So what didn't I Like?

1. Julie's husband was a jerk. Why did she stay with him? Why did she even consider aborting his baby just because HE didn't want it?

2. Because of my two questions above, I ended up not liking Julie either, so much so that I didn't think she even deserved to tell Sarah's story because Sarah was so much better a person, so much braver.

3. There were too many coincidences, so many pat turns of plot just to get things done in the story. This author needs to sit down and talk about writing coincidences with an author like Kate Atkinson.

4. I felt manipulated by the writing, and I felt bad for all the people who went through that horrible, horrible time who were supposedly honored by this book, but instead were trivialized.

I hate it when I read a book that I dislike so intensely. There are so many others more worthy of my time.
So I'm not going to write any more about it!

No comments: