Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King.✔✔

We saw the movie "Sherlock Holmes" a few weeks ago; actually my introduction to Sherlock Holmes, because I have never read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, although I'm familiar with the various characters. This book presents Holmes as the mentor for a young woman, Mary Russell, who meets Holmes when she is barely 15. Holmes is impressed with her intellect, plus her capacity for minute detail, and so she becomes his apprentice, and together they solve some interesting cases. The book didn't hold me much beyond that, and when the library called today with a couple more from my ever-expanding list of books to read, I quickly skimmed it through to the end so I can start enjoying these two books.

I must say, though, that this period interests me far more when it comes to mysteries. Today's mysteries - or detective thrillers, probably - are rather lurid, have too many guns and body sheets lying around, and are largely occupied by computers, high-tech devices, fast cars, and rough language. I like murders to have a genteel air about them, and I prefer detectives like Holmes, who employ everyday techniques like disguises and such to solve their cases.

There is a sequel to this novel, wherein I expect the apprentice and the teacher form more of a bond, and I'm sure the author will handle that transition well, too. If my list is even near empty, I'll consider reading it!

No comments: