Friday, February 20, 2009

THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE by David Wroblewski

Well, well, well, here's a new addition to my all-time favorite list.  I LOVED this book!
Edgar is a mute, although not deaf, who speaks by signing.  His family breeds and raises an exceptional breed of dog named Sawtelles after the family name- and they are an exceptional dog, most especially Almondine, who has been Edgar's protector and mentor since before his birth.( The chapter relating how Almondine searched throughout the house for something she already knew was meaningful was beautiful, as was the chapter when she decides to search for Edgar after his long absence.)
Not only a beautiful story, but beautifully written as well- there were parts I read again just to savour them once more. As Stephen King says on the jacket, I envy the person who is presently reading this book- I didn't want it to end.  But end it did, and in a fitting way.  I must admit to some nervousness as I got to the end, because so often a good book just doesn't seem to make it through to the end, but this one did not disappoint me at all.
I purposely did not read any reviews of this book while I was reading it, although I had seen the title often on best-seller lists previously.  In the meantime, I've been singing its praises to everyone I know who loves a good book, and most especially those who love dogs.

No comments: