Thursday, May 7, 2015

Dearie: The Life of Julia Child by Bob Spitz****

Vickie, Mildred's friend from Ottawa, told me about this book a few years ago and I was finally able to find it in Books A Million in Panama City this past winter.
I was aware of Julia Child, and I certainly remember the spoofs on her, and I'm sad to say I thought that's how JC actually was, but I discovered an extremely personable, intelligent woman, despite her warbly voice and imperious manner. It was Julia who completely transformed American cooks by showing them how wonderful food could be prepared easily and deliciously. She never even discovered cooking till she and her husband Paul moved to France in the 50s, when she was 35!
And she worked hard, doing recipes time and time again until she knew every inch of the dish she was preparing. Since it was French food she focussed on, there were a lot of butter and cream sauces, rich meats, highly sweet desserts, but she always kept a slim figure, by following the dictum of moderation, small portions, exercising and weight- watching.
This was a very long, but very interesting book. A fascinating person and an American treasure.

No comments: