Monday, May 14, 2012

Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo ✔✔✔

I read this book over a couple of months, then finally finished it - not because I didn't like it, but I was reading a couple of others at the same time.

This is non-fiction, but the author spent so much time "Behind the Beautiful Forevers" ( a slum are behind the Beautiful Forevers Airport in Mumbai) that it reads like a novel - one of the most effective approaches I've seen to non-fiction investigative reporting that I've read in a long time.

What a life these people lead.  There are no rescues, like those in "Slumdog Millionaire" - it's just everyday garbage picking as a slum industry, living packed in like sardines, with  scary descriptions of brushes with the law, being kicked or beaten at will..... sometimes hard to read, but very well-done.

No comments: