Friday, March 4, 2011

The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George ✔✔✔✔

Margaret George writes excellent historical fiction, including Mary, Queen of Scots and Helen of Troy, and now this one, which I read for our Tudor theme study at April's book club meeting. She is easy to read, never sensational, and always remains true to historic fact.

The Tudors is a favorite subject of mine, and I've already read many books on this theme, but I picked this one - some 900 pages long- first because most of the books I've read deal with Anne Boleyn or Elizabeth I, and I wanted to know more about Henry's other wives, especially after Anne Boleyn. Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel, which I read last year, had Thomas Cromwell as its subject and I found it overly scholarly. This one was an excellent choice.

Henry is seen as a man who never got over the fact that his mother never loved him, or at least never demonstrated any affection towards him. You also see the loneliness of the reigning monarch, not knowing who to trust, even himself. It's also quite obvious that once Henry made up his mind about someone's treachery, whether real or suspected, or wanted to get rid of someone, like three of his six wives, that he never spoke directly with the object of his wrath, almost as if he knew if he did, he'd be talked out of it. He really was just a little boy who wanted a mommy!

No comments: