Friday, February 4, 2011

JANE EYRE by Charlotte Bronte ✔✔✔✔

I like to read at least one classic novel a year, and now that so many can be downloaded for free on Kindle, it was a matter of choosing which one. When I saw that a new film version of Jane Eyre will be released in March, I decided Jane Eyre would be the one.

Jane Eyre was first published in 1847, under the name Currer Bell, because Charlotte feared it would not be published if a woman's name appeared as the author.

Wikipedia has an excellent entry on this novel, exploring its many themes. While I was reading the novel, I was certainly aware of gender bias, class distinctions, the search for acceptance, plus passion and romance, the influence of religion, but the things that struck me as I read were first, the education of young women in those days amidst the most prejudicial males ( reminded me of our times, when the most strident voices for anti-abortion are male), and second, the often odd behaviour patterns of Rochester. Why did he lead her on so much to get closer to her - disguising himself as a gypsy, pretending to court Lady Ingram, misleading her into an almost bigamous marriage?

There's no question it's a highly literate novel, and a wonderful story, with many layers of meaning. Charlotte and her sisters lived a great life of full imagination even while being so secluded - it's amazing that she depicted life - especially romance - so accurately and so fully. I really can't recall whether I ever read the novel previously, but it was an engrossing, enlightening read. I love the sentence: "Reader, I married him" - I felt she was reaching out to communicate with all her readers down through the last 150 years, and it's almost as if she was talking directly to us all.

No comments: