Saturday, December 5, 2009

SOUTH OF BROAD by Pat Conroy

Twelve years ago, I read Beach Music by Conroy while we were in St. Martin, and enjoyed it immensely, so I put this title on my list of "Must Reads" when it was published. Sandra loaned it to me to take with me to Florida, but I got it read in a matter of days- even had to put the oven timer on to limit my reading time so I could get packing and preparations for Florida done!

Once again, Charleston is the setting, with 10 young people the cast of characters, from their meeting as teenagers at the high school where the main character's mother, Dr. King, is the principal. Leo, her son, has just returned from time in a mental institution after Leo's older brother committed suicide. His friends include Sheba and Trevor Poe, twins from across the street whose mother is an alcoholic and the father is a prison-escapee; Starla and Niles, runaways from the mountains of Appalachia, socialite Molly, her boyfriend Chad. and his sister, star basketball player Fraser.

The story takes place across two decades, from the beginnings of racial integration in the south, through the AIDS crisis of the 80s to a horrific hurricane in Charleston in 1990. It was a really good story, interesting characters, some heart-stopping tragedies, and a travel postcard of Charleston to boot.

One of my favorites for 2009, for sure.

No comments: