Tuesday, January 6, 2009

IF I AM MISSING OR DEAD by Janine Latkus

I couldn't read this book.  I got about 25 pages into it, leafed through a few more, and decided I couldn't read it.  It's the story of a pair of sisters who suffer abuse both sexual and emotional from their father throughout their growing-up years, then seem to find the same type of person in their boyfriends, where the abuse becomes physical.  We know from the get-go that Amy, the little sister, dies at the hands of her husband, and the book's title comes from a letter she left for her other two sisters to find after her death.

Just too brutal, too predictable for me- my heart just breaks for them, and the helplessness they endured all through their lives- but I just couldn't continue reading it.  Too depressing...

No comments: